The 5 love languages is an interesting and popular framework for helping navigate the ever complex world of love. Think of a personality test, but one which focuses exclusively on how we express and feel love!
Understanding the different interpretations of love helps improve our communication and relationships with loved ones.
The 5 languages are:
1) Words of Affirmation: Expressing affection through spoken affection, praise, or appreciation.
2) Acts of Service: Actions, rather than words, are used to show and receive love.
3) Receiving Gifts: Gifting is symbolic of love and affection.
4) Quality Time: Expressing affection with undivided, undistracted attention.
5) Physical Touch: It can be sex or holding hands. With this love language, the speaker feels affection through physical touch.
This blog post
covers the topic in more depth and is worth a read on Valentine’s Day of all days!